Re: Sarge -> Etch: A Painful Upgrade

On 04/12/2007, Dave Ewart wrote:
> On Thursday, 12.04.2007 at 14:13 -0400, Ralph Katz wrote:
>
>> [bug report]
>
> If I may quote further from your report:
>
>> - aptitude update (etch sources)
>> - aptitude upgrade
>> - see lots of warnings
>
> This was your first sign of trouble.  And, given that you were not fully
> committed to an upgrade at that point, it would probably have been
> better if you'd stopped there - and reported the errors/warnings you
> saw.

In retrospect, absolutely!

> Given that you had trouble after what is a very simple operation,
> something fundamental must be wrong.  Perhaps your previous downgrade
> from Sid to Sarge wasn't quite right, even though your system appeared
> to be operating fine.

Not a chance.  This machine had a fresh install of sarge last May (long
after the sid/sarge downgrade) and was up-to-date as of the day of upgrade.

> Any subsequent problems may well be as a result of that first problem.
>
> Are you *certain* your /etc/apt/sources.list were correct?
>
> What were the *actual* warnings (where you state "lots of warnings")?

Too late now to remember it all clearly, unless there's evidence in the
logs.  Many of the warnings are captured in the logs if you check the
bug report #418911, I even cat /etc/apt/sources.list at one point in the
capture.  I posted 6 mbs of logs in the bug.

My post was more of a warning, 'heads-up, this may not be as easy as you
think.'  I hope to save others some aggravation and help the developers
see how a user can flub it.

Thanks Dave for your thoughts.

Regards,
Ralph