Re: Replicate installed packages to new system

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 17:22 -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 02:36:38PM -0400, Michael Pobega wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 06:21:08PM -0000, McNamee, John wrote:
> > > I've been evaluating Etch for several months on a test machine, and now
> > > I'd like to install it on a production server.  What's the best way to
> > > get the list of packages installed on the test system, and then
> > > re-install those packages on the new system?
> >
> > aptitude search "~i" will give you a list of your installed packages.
> > This will probably be a lot though, and will take a long time to install
> > them on the other computer.
>
> 	#aptitude search '~i!~M'
>
> This shows only the packages installed (~i) but not automatically (!~M),
> in other words, the packages that I specifically installed.

I use these two commands so that I can still restore the same package
list even if I don't use some of the recommended dependencies (for
example, powersaved recommends kpowersave).
I have never attempted to restore from these though.

aptitude -F "%p" search ~i\!~M >| /var/backups/aptitude-i
aptitude -F "%p" search ~i~M >| /var/backups/aptitude-ai

What about the backup that aptitude does?
/var/backups/aptitude.pkgstates.0
Is there some way to restore from that?  Say, copy it to:
/var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates