Re: a Debian user's introduction to Redhat EL4?

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 07:05:47PM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:

> I am sure that he really meant the other way, "a RHEL User's
> introduction to Debian (and its far superior tools and ways)"
>
> I hope. I really hope. But since he is is using RH, I am afraid not.
>
> In any case, RPM dependency hell, rings a big bell to me. YUM and
> up2date are know to have significant deficiencies.
>
> I've seen and do have some experience with RHEL and its wonderful
> rolling ABI and API problems, unlike Debian "Stable".

I am required to use RHEL in my day job (I'd much rather that than be
forced to use Windows).  Their long support cycles make it not as much
of an issue.  Along with the situation in many enterprises (standardized
configuration which is centrally controlled; specific apps tested for
compatibility before deployment), it works out rather nicely.  Since you
have to pay for it, it makes the higher ups and the bean counters happy
since they are buying licenses and they have widgets to count.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez