funny wireless internet with a *non* wireless modem

hi folks,

i have a fast broadband connection, my provider is at home dot nl.

the connection worked like a charm till about two weeks ago, when the mailserver slowed down significantly, but the browser kept working as fast as ever.

my provider could not tell me the cause of all this so i decided to do something myself. I installed (under etch) an asus wireless card with the rt2500 module, which works fine since yesterday-evening:.... sends my emails as fast as my onboard chip in the old days.

the clou: so when i send emails from my two maillists with the onboard nvidia-chip the process is slow as a snail.
when i use the wireless chip of the asus-card it goes as fast as ever.

i have *not* a wireless modem and yet the rt2500 chip of the wireless asus-card does its work very well.

somebody out there who understands this??

some explanantion will be highly appreciated,

regards,

steef