Re: Using Debian problem--please help

I don't know what to do from here and I'm confused as to what could be wrong
please any input would greatly be appreciated.

Something useful (in addition to what's already been said here) that a
newbie *might* not know: when X starts and you wind up at that
seemingly-inescapable grey screen, you can:

hit CTRL+ALT+Backspace to restart your X session
hit CTRL+ALT+F1 to get out of X and back to your shells
Once back to your shell, you can use ALT+F[1-6] to navigate between
your shells, and ALT+F7 to get back into the running X session.

On 4/10/07, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
On 4/10/07, Christian Hattery <neogabcjh@msn.com> wrote:
> I used the netinst from the US mirror and I installed it on an AMD64
system
> and everything went fine and after the install when Debian ask's for my
> account name and pass it leaves that GUI and goes to nothing but a GRAY
> screen and a mouse cursor.

That means that the X server is starting and working properly, but it does
not have any clients to run, such as a program, or a window manager (wm), or
a desktop environment (DE) like KDE or Gnome.

So you just need to install one of these items. Most newbies probably want
KDE or Gnome. To install KDE, just run (as root), "aptitude install kde".
Then when you log in, KDE should start, and you'll be in a more familiar
environment.

Or it could just be that you need to use the GUI login screen's pull-down
menu to select some environment to run if some suitable environment has
already been installed.

--
Kent