Re: Using Debian problem--please help

On 4/10/07, Christian Hattery <neogabcjh@msn.com> wrote:
I used the netinst from the US mirror and I installed it on an AMD64 system
and everything went fine and after the install when Debian ask's for my
account name and pass it leaves that GUI and goes to nothing but a GRAY
screen and a mouse cursor.

That means that the X server is starting and working properly, but it does not have any clients to run, such as a program, or a window manager (wm), or a desktop environment (DE) like KDE or Gnome.

So you just need to install one of these items. Most newbies probably want KDE or Gnome. To install KDE, just run (as root), "aptitude install kde". Then when you log in, KDE should start, and you'll be in a more familiar environment.

Or it could just be that you need to use the GUI login screen's pull-down menu to select some environment to run if some suitable environment has already been installed.

--
Kent