Re: [debian-user] Virus, Trojan, and Worm

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 21:06 +0000, Johnmon2 wrote:
> You could try avg free
> free.grisoft.com

NO. Do not use that. I've had a few run-ins with this company.

I've purchased multiple "site licenses" from them for multiple
companies. Eventually, after extending the licenses (two or three times
depending) and doing the "auto-update" feature, all the users started
getting the "you are using pirated software" and directs them to the
website to "become legal".

Of course immediately, I had to do "no-cost" site visits to fix this
issue for each and every company, Getting a "pro-rated for $remaining
time" license from Grisoft. Costing me about 110 hours of work I didn't
get paid for.

Well, Clamav for Windows works just as well and doesn't screw with the
SMTP or POP/IMAP process. I also have spam and av scanning done inline
with the MTA and IMAP servers, updated every night via freshclam and
RulesDuJour and other custom things... all to get away from Grisoft.

There isn't a single Anti-Virus *Company* I trust to do the right thing
anymore. I just use Clam-AV, updated. In the two years since, there has
only been one "virus" problem and that was brought in on a CDROM. They
called and I drove over at their cost to check and "fix" it. I also did
a complete checkup on the servers and backup systems as a bonus to the
company.

Seems nice that Clam also integrates with Samba if you want it to. But,
a nightly scan on the shares works well enough for me.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup