Disabling Write-Caching

I see that Lenny came to town yesterday. I've been tracking Testing and
yesterday doing an update+upgrade gave me about 230 packages to upgrade.
All went normally and my system is still purring along happily :-) I did
get a warning about hdparm. It said that /dev/hda had Write chaching
enabled and this was not a good idea because in the event of a power
failure it could cause serious data loss.

Not being one to argue, I dutifully did #hdparm -W 0 /dev/hda and now
write-caching is no longer enabled. For my own reassurance, was this the
sensible thing to do?
TIA,
Jonathan