Re: Disabling Write-Caching

Jonathan Kaye wrote:

> I see that Lenny came to town yesterday. I've been tracking Testing and
> yesterday doing an update+upgrade gave me about 230 packages to upgrade.
> All went normally and my system is still purring along happily :-) I did
> get a warning about hdparm. It said that /dev/hda had Write chaching
> enabled and this was not a good idea because in the event of a power
> failure it could cause serious data loss.
>
> Not being one to argue, I dutifully did #hdparm -W 0 /dev/hda and now
> write-caching is no longer enabled. For my own reassurance, was this the
> sensible thing to do?
> TIA,
> Jonathan
Thanks to Greg, CaT and Jochen for the feedback. Up to now I haven't noticed
any degradation of performance on my desktop. If this remains the case then
I'll make the change permanent otherwise it seems the risk of data loss are
small, at least in my case. So if things slow down I'll re-enable the
write-caching. Are there any particular tasks that would make the presence
or absence of write-caching?
Cheers for your advice,
Jonathan