Re: SSH port 22 is invisible from the internet!! :(

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 03:01:32PM +0200, csanyipal wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have installed on Etch openssh-client & openssh-server.
>
> I can to login to localhost with ssh.
>
> I want to allow a remote user to login with ssh on to my system.
>
> I use iptables as a firewall and have added a rule to open the port 22:
> $ sudo iptables -L
> ACCEPT     0    --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:smtp
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ssh
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:www
>

> I use a website
> http://wigwam.sztaki.hu:8080/varazslatok/tuzfalteszt.php
> to see whethear is my port 22 visible and the test says that that the
> port 22 is invisible.
>
> The remote user can't to login with ssh too on to my system.
> My system has a FQDN csanyi-pal.info and a public IP: 85.222.164.132
>
> My exim4 and apache2 works fine, but ssh won't to works. :(
>
> Why is the port 22 invisible from the internet?
>
> Any advices will be appreciated!

First of all, if I were you, I would try to get an access to your
ssh server through 127.0.0.1.

# telnet 127.0.0.1 22

should display SSH banner. Something like this :

###
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.3p2 Debian-9
^[
Connection closed by foreign host.
###

Afterwards, you could worry a bit more with iptables if it does not work.

--
Franck Joncourt
http://www.debian.org