Re: Desktop user: Etch or the next testing?

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 09:39:28AM +0800, Bob wrote:

> Interesting, the layout I was considering with 2 drives was to have the
> system (including swap and /tmp) on a RAID0 array with the resultant
> speed boost that entails, and have /home on a RAID1 array with the
> protection that offers. If a drive goes down the system crashes and I
> have to reinstall, but that's not hard and I've still got my personal
> data, plus I've been enjoying what should have been a noticeably more
> responsive system in the meantime.

How is having the binaries on raid0 going to make the system niticeably
more repsonsive?  Raid1 does round-robin reading anyway.  To make things
faster, mount /usr noatime so no reads have to happen every time
something is read.

Unless you're short on ram, put /tmp on tmpfs.

If you are short on ram, add more, then put /tmp on tmpfs.

If the system crashes because of a drive failure, and your /home is on
software raid1, what keeps the system crash from not crashing the
software raid1, and the filesystem on top of it?

Doug.