hdparm question

I have postgresql running on an ide type system with a 300GB hard drive. For some reason the command hdparm -W 0 /dev/hda fails with error0x04 so drive cacheing can't be turned off by hdparm on this type of drive so far as I now know. There is all of that lvm stuff on the system running so it's possible hdparm and lvm might not like each other all that much and in my case generate this error. That or there's something else I need to do.