Etch, nfs, and AIX v3.2

I'm having some problems setting up 4 nfs shares that mount reliably on an Etch box that is importing the share from an RS/6000 AIX v3.2 server. It takes about a minute to mount each share at boot, and about 1/2 that time to manually mount one of the shares share. I get an "RPC: timed out" error on the client if a manual mount fails.

Do I need to specify the version, udp, etc... on the client, as it seems that nfs v3 wasn't released until long after this server went into production? The same client will mount nfs shares from a Debian box on the same subnet as the AIX machine almost instantly.