Re: Newbie Question - KDE-Gnome-xfce

Randy Patterson wrote:

> So would you say in general that the debian-testing-xxx-kde-CD-1.iso image
> is for higher end system installs and the debian-testing-xxx-xfce-CD-1.iso
> image is for lower end and debian-testing-xxx-netinst.iso image is to
> allow for all options?

I do not think debian-testing-xxx-kde-CD-1.iso is for higher end and
debian-testing-xfce-CD-1.iso is for lower end. It's more like the former
installs KDE by default and the later installs xfce by default. I searched
for an official page (in http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/) confirming this,
but could not find any info. May be others will provide a more
authoritative answer.

Regarding debian-testing-xxx-netinst.iso, there is more info at
http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#netinst . Essentially it gives a basic system
by downloading as little as 180 MB. Afterwards users can download the
software from the internet as and when the need arises.

> Sounds like I'm staying with KDE! :-)

Well, that gives you a starting point. Once you acclimatize yourself with
Debian, you can (and should) experiment with other DEs (Desktop
Environments) and choose one that you like.

hth
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi