Re: Newbie Question - KDE-Gnome-xfce

On Wednesday 04 April 2007 18:09, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> Randy Patterson wrote:
> > I have only had Debian up and going for about two weeks. Had Sarge
> > installed but had problems with my USB hardware so just did a clean
> > install of Etch. Works great!! Since I am a new user I don't have a
> > favorite windowing system that I prefer and was wondering if someone to
> > point me to a good link that would describe the strengths and weaknesses
> > or pros and cons of each system. KDE installed as default with Sarge and
> > Etch so I assume they chose that for a reason and it is the only one I
> > have used. I have looked but haven't been able to find a good comparison
> > them.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Randy
>
> I also use KDE and am a big fan of it. But let me correct one thing. KDE is
> not chosen as default in Debian. The default with net install image is
> nothing. Users are expected to install what they like.

I had forgot that I installed for the debian-testing-i386-kde-CD-1.iso image
and there was no option. Guess i wrongly assumed same default for all
installs.

> Why not KDE?
> . It is a memory hog, CPU intensive, slow compared to most other DEs.

I guess your speaking relatively here! LOL I have used Windoze XP for about
the last two years and KDE seemed as fast as a text based menu system when I
first started it and I knew I was addicted! It's load time doesn't really
compare either. I am a software developer and will be spending a lot of time
in Eclipse. I was looking to find the best windowing system for my needs
before I spend a lot of time getting my dev. env. setup. My time is somewhat
limited and wasn't wanting to spend a lot of time in something that I wasn't
going to use. Your comments and overview were very helpful.

So would you say in general that the debian-testing-xxx-kde-CD-1.iso image is
for higher end system installs and the debian-testing-xxx-xfce-CD-1.iso image
is for lower end and debian-testing-xxx-netinst.iso image is to allow for all
options?

Sounds like I'm staying with KDE! :-)

Thanks,
Randy