Debian etch on SONY VAIO VGN-FE880E/H

I have searched google, tuxmobile, linux-laptop etc. I could n't find any much useful info regarding installing etch as dual boot in SONY VAIO VGN-FE880E/H. I will be thankful for any advice or pointers regarding  partioin shrinking retaining all that sony gives intially including its restore partition. Further i have read vista's partition shring doesn't show full usable free space unless restore is disabled and something regarding shadow and page(I don't know what it is and how to do it).
Hence taking care of all these, shrinking that new Vista NTFS partition to the maximum is my first requirement. I want to get this done properly first. Hence I nedd advice in this regard first.
Second regarding making work all the hardware that comes with fe880. Any suggestions or pointers in this regard is welcome.

--
L.V.Gandhi
http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/