Re: GPL v3?

Andrew Barr <andrew.james.barr@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd certainly like to see the kernel go GPLv3...granted parts of the
> kernel could go anyway without Linus' explicit blessing, but after all
> the kernel is a flagship free software project...

Not if GPLv3 is incompatible with GPLv2.  Linus doesn't have much say in
the license of the kernel since the different codes are owned by the
different authors (unlike FSF software that is owned by FSF).  They
would either have to track down all the contributors or rewrite the code
for the stuff owned by people they can't track down or for people who
don't want to relicense their code.  And that was the intention of the
kernel too, which is why they removed the "..or later" text from the
standard license text.

--
John L. Fjellstad