Re: Evo vs. Icedove (was Re: Woohooo! Dell + Linux)

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 01:20 +0100, Ananda Samaddar wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 14:39:05 -0400
> Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 13:15 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > How much memory does Evo use?  I switched from Evo to ID because
> of
> > > bloat and Evo's ties to GNOME, but ID has RES 81m and SHR 23m.  So
> > > I'm thinking of reinstalling Evo.
> > >

> > Using XFce as my environment, while replying to your message:
> >
> >          VIRT  RES  SHR
> >          138m  57m  21m evolution
> >
> > But then that really isn't including the backend processes for
> > evolution.
> >
> >          VIRT  RES  SHR
> >          235m 9.9m 5408 evolution-data-server
> >         36160 9296 7764 evolution-exchange-storage
> >         67692 9.8m 8364 evolution-alarm-notify
> >
> > Of course, you can turn off the exchange and alarm notify now. I
> just
> > haven't. So in reality the RES for ALL processes is 85.9m and the
> SHR
> > for all is 42.4m, roughly equivalent if you are lazy.
> >
> > But, I can say the ONLY part my evo is having any problem with is,
> > moving messages to and from the "high-count" folders. But that would
> > apply to icedove or any other mail-client.
> >
> > I am using: Evolution 2.8.2.1 from experimental.
> > --
>
> > the playfield. -- Thane Walkup
> >

> Thought I'd just stick my oar in and recommend Sylpheed as a Gtk based
> mail client it's extremely fast and configurable and has all the
> functionality you'll probably need (except html mail).  It stores mail
> in the mh and not mbox format so it doesn't mess up like Thunderbird /
> Icedove does if you have a mailbox with a lot of messages in it.
> Tried Evolution but found it to be too slow and unstable.

Yep, slow and unstable, 1/2 a second to search in my high-count folders,
complete text search not just "From" or "To" or "Subject" complete
message search. Speaking of Maildir format, Evo uses that. Of course,
once again I am using IMAP (courier IMAP over TLS)

I haven't had any issues for over a year. Even then they were related to
GNOME having issues for me.

Of course, I am using slow courier IMAPS and Evolution, I am typing this
to you 3 days from now and using time-travel to send it to you now.

Ha!
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup