Re: Woohooo! Dell + Linux

Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Joe Hart wrote:
>> Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

>>> Windows *is* better, since it has more users than any other OS, and
>>> those simply can't be wrong. The same applies to M$ office.
>>> Practically none of its users ever think of *why* this or that would be
>>>  better or worse than any of the alternatives.
>> Your logic is flawed.
>
> As noted in my other reply: this is not my logic and my way of thinking,
> but that popular among window$ loosers, encouraged by heavy marketing on
> the 'superiority' of the product.
>
>> With Office, it is a compatibility issue.  People use Office because
>> their contacts use it, and it is a vicious circle of upgrades just to
>> remain compatible, meanwhile generating a lot of income for MS.
>
> It's about the same way of thinking that encourages persistent use of
> Office and O$ choice. The O$ is also viewed more 'compatible' than
> linux, because most hardware etc. is supported to work with it. It is
> also based on closed standards and employs an update policy to force
> users to upgrade. We still use proprietary hardware on Windows NT, but
> these computers cannot be connected to the internet for security
> reasons, and M$ would like to force us to buy new hardware and upgrade
> to XP/Vista.
>
> It's an interesting and popular misconception that M$ office is
> considered 'compatible' despite the fact that their file formats are the
> *one* example that is arguably least compatible with any other product.
> Their software is also only available for Win32, pseudo-win64 and mac,
> making it incompatible to other hardware or other OSes.
>
> Johannes

I agree with you.  I guess we don't need to debate the issue since your
statements were not based on sound logic, rather they were just echoing
the stupidity of the masses.

Oh how I wished I had seen the light many years ago.  Alas, one cannot
change history, but one can endeavor to correct the future.  Repentance
while noble, is not effective.

Now we can debate a whole new issue. :) Perhaps we should move it to a
new OT thread though.

Joe
- --