Re: GPG and Signing

Ron Johnson writes:
> An ATM machine's threshold of "trust in identity" is account number and
> PIN.

That is authentication, not identification.

> Meat sack tellers (who don't recognize you) want to verify your signature
> with a Government Issued ID Card.

A mistake.  The teller should authenticate (_authenticate_, not identify)
you with a secret shared by only you and the bank.

> Just as with the GPG Web Of Trust, meatspace relies on a web of trust.

An easily subverted ad-hoc one.

> All they care about is the GPG web of trust.

Debian cares that I am the same person who was authorized to upload
packages in 1998.  They don't care if I am the person who files tax returns
using the name John Hasler and a particular SSN.  They are not interested
in where I was born.  Only governments and identity thieves are interested
in complete life histories.
--
John Hasler