Re: GPG and Signing

Ron Johnson writes:
> In the metaphysical sense or the practical sense?

Practical, but not "commonsense".

Does your bank need to know "who you really are" in order to safely let you
withdraw money from your account, or do they just need to know that you are
the person who opened the account?  (Ignoring government regulations for
the moment.)

Does Debian need to know "who I really am" to safely let me upload
packages, or do they just need to know that I am the same John Hasler who
has been uploading packages for the last nine years and who exchanged key
signatures with a couple of DDs at the IETF meeting in Minneapolis in 1998?
--
John Hasler