Re: Desktop user: Etch or the next testing?

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 14:53 -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> > So I'd say that maybe Stable is really not for Desktop use.
> > Testing is the best choice because it is neither too dangerous
> > nor too old.
>
> What do you think about adding a new release type maybe called
> "current"? Then our release structure would look like this:
>
>               -------------
>               | Unstable  |------
>               -------------     |
>                     |           |
>                     |           |
>                -----------      |
>                | Testing |      |
>                -----------      |
>                     |           |
>            -------------------- |
>            |                  | |
>        ----------       -----------
>        | Stable |       | Current |
>        ----------       -----------
>
> Current would get both security and feature updates. We could
> advertise this as the perfect blend of stability and up-to-date
> software. Immediately after a release, Current would lag behind
> Testing so it would be more stable. Conversely, during the freeze
> we might be able to pull some packages from Unstable.
>
> I am pretty new to Debian so I am sure there are a thousand
> reasons why the above is a bad idea, or just too hard to
> implement. But it seems like it's worth discussing. And before
> anyone gives me a hard time let me say, "I am not complaining".

There have been a lot of talk and suggestions, for example, Joey Hess
described Constantly Usable Testing, it sounds a bit like your
suggestion.
http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/debian/cut.html

Also, there seems to be some interest of making official backports to
support new hardware and new releases for typical desktop users. I would
be surprised if this didn't happen for the Lenny release, or even
sooner.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson