Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

On 4/2/07, Siju George <sgeorge.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
On 2/20/07, marcus.blumhagen@web.de <marcus.blumhagen@web.de> wrote:

> So this is where my suggestion for a filesystem comes into play. I
> used XFS in the beginning of my experiments with LVM but am migrating
> to ext3 now, since XFS can only be grown but not shrunk. But growing
> *and* shrinking are both natively supported features of ext3. Also it
> seems to be slightly faster than XFS on my setup. I recently migrated
> my /home (about 16GB) partition from XFS to ext3, using some spare
> diskspace with an intermediate ext3 partition. Copying from the XFS to
> the ext3 partition took about 14 minutes, whilst copying from the
> intermediate ext3 to the final ext3 /home took 12 minutes.

But it seems ext3 has to be unmounted to increase and decrease in size right?
That would mean downtime for server.

ReiserFS seems to be only file system from

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/extendlv.html

that can be extended and shrunk while the file systems are mounted and
are online without disrupting the Services that the Server offers.

The resize_reiserfs manpage says that the filesystem has to be
unmounted before shrinking.  IIRC, it will refuse to shrink if it is
mounted, although I don't know what happens if you try shrinking with
too much data on the filesystem.

Extending is no problem.

--
Kushal