Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 04:35:03PM +0530, Siju George wrote:

> But it seems ext3 has to be unmounted to increase and decrease in size
> right?
> That would mean downtime for server.

There is currently an experimental online resizing patch for ext3.  I am
not sure if it is already in the kernel, but it is out there.

> ReiserFS seems to be only file system from
>
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/extendlv.html
>
> that can be extended and shrunk while the file systems are mounted and
> are online without disrupting the Services that the Server offers.
>
> I wonder how the shrinking takes place.
> If there are possiblilites for loss of data and if it will give any
> warning before it happens and so on?

Not sure about resier, but XFS does support online growing of the
filesystem.  It does not support shrinking the file system (online or
offline).

Regards,

-Roberto

--