Re: Crashed X - Hard re-boot

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 03:54:54PM -0500, Dave Walker wrote:
> On 3/31/07, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> >"Dave Walker" <carol.dave.walker@gmail.com> wrote:
 >--
> Thanks, Andrei........ what you explained was exactly what I found. X
> was not running in terminal 1 at all as I expected, but was "hiding"
> (from me at least) in terminal 7.
>
> That raises the question, though, about what happined to terminal 1.
> Why won't it respond, and why does it appear to be comatose???

On VC1 you ran startx.  X spits its stderr to VC1 and continues to do so
as long as it is running.  It paints a display on the next available VC
(standard debian has this as VC7).  The Ctrl-Alt-Backspace works when
you are viewing the X system in VC7.  In VC1, X is spitting its output
but isn't reading input on that VC.

I _have_ had a case where X wouldn't respond to _any_ magic keystrokes.
This is another reason why I have a getty running on a serial port.  I
can always log in from another computer via a null-modem cable.

Doug.