Re: Which OS? Was "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 22:57 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> "Michael M." <mcubed@slashmail.org> wrote:
>
> > If I knew, for example, that for up to six months out of every two
> > years, testing will be frozen, I could live with that.  If that were
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the freeze started only about 4
> months ago and it looks like it will end in April.

No you're probably right, but I guess there's more to the concept of a
"freeze" than when it starts, strictly speaking.  To use an example I'm
familiar with, Gnome 2.16 was released in October (six months ago) and
did not make it into Etch, though bits and pieces of it have.  I
remember it being an open question whether 2.16 would be included in
Etch.  I'm not complaining that it isn't; I'm just saying that decisions
about what would or would not make it into Etch were made, in many
cases, before the freeze officially started.  Some things, like OO.org
2.0.4 (also released in October) made it, others did not.

I was more-or-less thinking along the lines of, "I don't care if testing
falls six months behind it's usual timeliness factor during the run-up
to a release," but I guess I didn't phrase it very well.  Usually,
testing is pretty up-to-date.

If it does end in April, hallelujah!

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions