slrn crash -- froze everything

A couple weeks ago I had a problem while using slrn, with an error
wriitng to file after I tried to exit. The input/output error messages
I got suggested a hard drive problem, but that came to nothing. The
whole thing was discussed in another thread here.

A few days ago I tried to start slrn with a different news-server (one
which I hadn't yet created a .jnewsrc file for, my mistake). This
immediately froze the whole system - no cursor movement, no keyboard
shortcuts, no access to a text terminal with C-A-F1. I had to power
off to get control back. Unfortunately, I've been working round the
clock in the lab, and didn't have time to immediatley sniff around for
clues or call for help.

I properly created the .jnewsrc file, and I haven't had a problem
since. However, I'm concerned that I've now had two system-wide
crashes while using slrn. I didn't think this sort of thing was
possible with Linux. Is it possible for a bug in slrn to crash my
whole system? If not, any clues for chasing down the source of these
mysterious problems?

--
Regards,

Tyler Smith