Re: update to latest etch caused multiple problems - can't boot, no sound

Thanks for your help, Florian.

Actually the system dropped me to the ash because it cannot mount
root. I tried it for quite a while before I used the old
initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686.bak and I'm pretty sure all the modules are
still there (I did modprobe sd_mod).  The linux-image is not updated
this time and the old initrd is using exactly the same kernel.

After my last post I checked the aptitude log and found out that the
only thing related to the boot procedure that got updated this time is

udev 0.105-3 -> 0.105-4

Since my boot and sound problems are all related to udev, I rolled
back to udev 0.105-3. Now everything is back to normal.  :-)

-- John