Re: update to latest etch caused multiple problems - can't boot, no sound

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 02:28:20 +0800, John Lee wrote:
> first of all I cannot boot after update.  traced and find out some
> strange problems:
>
> 1. sd_mod won't load.  my system is running on SATA so mdadm will fail
> to assemble my (/home) md0.  also the system will not be able to mount
> (/root) /dev/sda1 since all /dev/sda* were not there.
>
> 2. change grub option to use initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686.bak instead, the
> system boots fine, but the sound stops working.
>
> # lsmod | grep snd
> snd_intel8x0           30332  0
> snd_ac97_codec         83104  1 snd_intel8x0
> snd_ac97_bus            2400  1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_pcm_oss            38368  0
> snd_mixer_oss          15200  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                68676  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              20996  1 snd_pcm
> snd                    47012  6
> snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> soundcore               9248  1 snd
> snd_page_alloc          9640  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
>
> #ls /dev/snd
> total 0
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 2007-03-30 01:31 timer
>
> # ls /dev/dsp
> ls: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
>
> # cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [SI7012         ]: ICH - SiS SI7012
>                     SiS SI7012 with ALC655 at 0xe000, irq 10
>
> # cat /proc/asound/devices
> 0: [ 0]   : control
> 16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
> 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
> 25: [ 0- 1]: digital audio capture
> 33:        : timer
>
> # amixer
> amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device
>
> # amixer -c 0
> Invalid card number.
>
> alsaconf won't help either.  any idea will be most appreciated.  thanks.

My guess is that some sound(-related) module from the old initrd does
not work properly with the new kernel. I would not spend time trying to
get sound to work until you can create a working initrd for your current
kernel. It seems that the new initrd is missing the sd_mod module (and
maybe others). You can make a backup of the old .bak initrd (just in
case) and then try to generate a new initrd by running

dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.18-4-686

Do you get any error messages? You can also try to use the other initrd
creator, i.e. mkinitrd.yaird instead of the normal mkinitrd (or vice
versa, depending on what you currently use).

--
Regards,
          Florian