Re: OT: sponge burning!

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 22:22 -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 01:46:15AM +0000, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> >
> > ..even killing the enemy is illegal if you can "just" wound him to put
> > him out of the war, the most effective way is have your snipers plink
> > femurs at balls height.  ;o)
> >
> Of course, wounding the enemy is nearly *always* more desirable than
> outright killing him.  That is because every wounded soldier takes at
> least one other soldier (or other person, even if not a soldier) in
> order to care for his wounds in the short term.  So, from a resource
> perspective, wounded soldiers place a much heavier burden on a military
> force than corpses.

That depends on your enemy's policy on the wounded and dieing.

During certain wars in the last 2 centuries, wounded and dieing were
left on the battlefield for "others" to worry about. Usually the
advancing force, which like the nice people we usually are, we pick them
up, treat them and fix'em up, then imprison them. But not needlessly in
that exact order.

In one "internal" conflict, some soldiers would actually kill themselves
rather than let the doctors/butchers of the time, work or cut on them.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup