Re: OT: sponge burning!

On 25 Mar, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

> And I understood that you have yet to provide actual proof of war
> crimes.  You ramble on about the GCs and NATO treaties, but you have
> yet to point out even one *specific* instance which when brought
> before a court has a reasonable chance as being found to be a war
> crime.  The closest you can probably get is the rape/murders committed
> by some Marines.  That was a despicable act, but hardly a war crime.

     Actually, the war itself is a "war of aggression", which is a
war crime.  Other actions which may be war crimes:

    Torturing prisoners.
    Using white phosphorus against combatants and civilians
       (as opposed to its legal use for battlefield illumination).
    Using cluster munitions in occupied areas.
    Bombing civilian neighborhoods.
    Collective punishment (e.g. Fallujah I and II).
    Intentional killing of unarmed persons by military personnel.

    Use of DU munitions may also qualify as a war crime, as it's effect
is not limited to the battlefield.

    There may be more; these are just off the top of my head.

-Chris

N.B.  IMO most members of the armed forces are good people with strong
moral character, who try and obey the law, and who make great sacrifices
to serve their country.  Throwing these people into an unnecessary and
incredible poorly planned war is a despicable act.

|   Christopher Judd, Ph. D.                      judd@wadsworth.org   |