ati propriety drivers + etch = floating point exception in various programs

I can't use my ati radeon 9550 graphics card since I installed Etch. I need the ati propriety drivers, because I need the tvout and a proper 3d acceleration; things the free driver cannot deliver. The problem is that after I install the fglrx drivers I cannot run various programs: totem, opera browser, the new ati catalyst tool (amdcccle), and possibly many more that I haven't tried. Totem crashes and shows a screen with 3 buttons, restart,close report bug but unfortunately no bug report is available, Opera and amdcccle say floating point exception.
Today I installed sid to check whether that bug was solved but no luck.

The only workable solution I have come to is when I need to browse the internet: use the free 'ati' drivers, when I need the tv-out/good 3d acceleration: switch to 'fglrx' but this requires at least one logout/restart of x and it's pretty irritating
.
here's my latest fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Series
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6400 (8.35.5)
The system is fully updated using kernel 2.6.18-k7