gps navigation, maps

I'm looking for two kinds of solutions to a single
problem.

The problem: Navigating in an unknown US/Canada city.

Solution 1: More or less up-2-date maps that can be
stored in the hard disk and consulted if needed in my
testing-laptop.
Solution 2: Functional implementation of gps-aided
navigation.

Are there any tutorials, howtos out there that could
guide me in this? I imagine that there may be some
cheaper way using [debian+(radioshack or other)] than
traditional existing ~$900 systems.

Be a PS3 game guru.