Re: gps navigation, maps

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 03:27:57 -0700 (PDT)
Arc Roca <tonroca@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for two kinds of solutions to a single
> problem.
>
> The problem: Navigating in an unknown US/Canada city.
>
> Solution 1: More or less up-2-date maps that can be
> stored in the hard disk and consulted if needed in my
> testing-laptop.
> Solution 2: Functional implementation of gps-aided
> navigation.
>
> Are there any tutorials, howtos out there that could
> guide me in this? I imagine that there may be some
> cheaper way using [debian+(radioshack or other)] than
> traditional existing ~$900 systems.

1) Handheld, brand-name modern GPS systems are regularly available from Circuit City, Buy.com, etc. for as little as ~$200.
2) Receivers (no screen) are available for about $50, IIRC.
3) Receivers + mapping software / data packages (for use on laptops) are available for ~$90.
4) See GpsDrive [0]. It's software that works with a receiver (see #2 above) and freely available data to show your location on a map. It apparently doesn't provide street navigation with turn by turn directions.
I haven't actually tried any of these; I'd be curious to know what else is available.

Celejar

[0] http://www.gpsdrive.cc/