Re: Truetype Fonts Sarge 3.1

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 11:50:07AM EST, Dave Workshop wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-28-03 at 06:45 +0100, Liam O'Toole wrote:

[..]

> > Run the following commands:
> >
> >     fc-cache -fv
> >     fc-list
> >
> > The output of the first command should include the
> > directory /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/, and the second
> > should include the new fonts. At that point the fonts will be available
> > to GTK2 applications such as Abiword.

> > Liam
> >
> Thanks, Liam for the tips. The command (run as root)
>
> fc-cache -fv
>
> produced this output;

[..]

> Verdana:style=Bold Italic,Negreta cursiva,tu?né kurzíva,fed kursiv,Fett

> Georgia:style=Italic,Cursiva,kurzíva,kursiv,??????,Kursivoitu,Italique,D?lt,Corsivo,Cursief,Kursywa,Itálico,??????,?talik,Poševno,Etzana
>
> Comic Sans
> MS:style=Regular,Normal,oby?ejné,Standard,????????,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Standaard,Normalny,???????,Normálne,Navadno,Arrunta

[..]

> Trebuchet
> MS:style=Italic,Cursiva,kurzíva,kursiv,??????,Kursivoitu,Italique,D?lt,Corsivo,Cursief,Kursywa,Itálico,??????,?talik,Poševno,Etzana

[..]

> Georgia:style=Bold,Negreta,tu?né,fed,Fett,??????,Negrita,Lihavoitu,Gras,Félkövér,Grassetto,Vet,Halvfet,Pogrubiony,Negrito,??????????,Fet,Kal?n,Krepko,Lodia
>
> Dingbats:style=Regular
>
> Times New
> Roman:style=Bold,Negreta,tu?né,fed,Fett,??????,Negrita,Lihavoitu,Gras,Félkövér,Grassetto,Vet,Halvfet,Pogrubiona,Negrito,??????????,Fet,Kal?n,Krepko,?â?m,Lodia
>
> Arial
> Black:style=Regular,Normal,oby?ejné,Standard,????????,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Standaard,Normalny,???????,Normálne,Navadno,Arrunta

[..]

> Courier
> New:style=Regular,Normal,oby?ejné,Standard,????????,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Standaard,Normalny,???????,Normálne,Navadno,th???ng,Arrunta
>
> Courier 10 Pitch:style=Bold Italic
>
> Trebuchet
> MS:style=Regular,Normal,oby?ejné,Standard,????????,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Standaard,Normalny,???????,Normálne,Navadno,Arrunta
>
> Arial:style=Bold Italic,Negreta cursiva,tu?né kurzíva,fed kursiv,Fett

> But, alas, I still don't see any true-type fonts available in Gnome or
> its applications. I looked in the desktop configuration, Abiword, and
> Gnumeric for the new fonts. I also tried to log out and in again to
> Debian both as root and as a normal user, but no success.
>
> Any additional suggestions??

I had a heck of a time having the Terminus (fixed) font recognized by
mozilla -- another GTK app.  I had done as Liam rightly recommends
above and mozilla was ignoring my favorite fixed font.

Does gnome/gtk keep stuff in ram across login sessions to initialize
more quickly ..?

So, unless it's really inconvenient at this point I would just reboot
the boxx just in case .. see if it helps.

Otherwise, I don't use gnome or any of the apps you mention .. but are
they recent versions .. Just thinking that since it's a sarge system
you're talking about, some of the apps might be too ancient to be
fontconfig-aware..?

HTH

Thanks,
cga