Truetype Fonts Sarge 3.1

I have downloaded (apt ....etc) and "installed" truetype fonts which
Sarge placed in file:

/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/  (60 entries)            and in

/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera/  (11 entries)

but I can't seem to make applications aware of them.

I have a Gnome desktop and run Abiword (2.2.7) and Gnumeric (1.4.3),
but none of these applications lists any true type fonts explicitly
among the font selections. Does that mean the truetype fonts need
further installation? How do I make that happen?

I installed dfontmgr hoping that it would be helpful, but I can't make
any sense of that application. It doesn't seem to have a manual. It
does, however, show the location of the truetype fonts though, so it
is somewhat useful.

Anybody been there and done that????

Dave W.