Re: apache-mpm-prefork debian perfomance tuning

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 09:36:28PM +0530, Siju George wrote:

> Which means Security updates for Sarge will stop soon right?
> And I will need to upgrade all the Sarge servers on the net soon :-)

Security support for Sarge will continue for 1 year after the release of
Etch or until the release of Lenny (which ever comes first).  For
example, I support some computers in a primary/secondary school
environment.  Those won't be getting upgraded until over the summer.  No
sense taking the chance of breaking anything while school is still in.
:-)

> is there a Special reason to put ext2 for /boot?

Because /boot is generally very small (< 100 MB) and rarely written to.
Additionally, the journal on ext3 takes at least 32 MB.  To bo honest
I'm not too sure of the *exact* reason, it is just the recommendation
that I have always seen and hence I echo it since also Works for Me(TM).

> Now Comes the major part :-)
>
> What parameters should i tune from the Default "apache2-mpm-prefork"
> on Etch to take care of the Digg effect?

It took me a while to track it down again, but this article would be of
great interest to you:

http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/attention_span/

I don't recall if it covers apache specifically, but you might want to
ask in the #apache channel for specifics if nobody else here has any
suggestions.

Regards,

-Roberto
--