Re: how to install debian if I can "only" boot from harddisk ?

Really?  There is one particular aspect I'm concerned with:  Will it really
put Debian on its own partition or is it one of those
Linux-in-a-file-inside-a-windows-partition crazy things? I
looked a lot in the net for this information but I can't find it anywhere.

Yup, it's a normal installer, almost just-like-cd (i noticed few small
visual differences), you can delete windows partition, and set debian
instead of it. just make sure nothing breaks in middle of installation
- then you're stuck.

i did this for bunch of machines (~15) and it's much more comfortable
than CD boot, as in windows installer parameters you can already
choose some standard settings like timezone, etc (it's install kernel
parameters ;)

Regards,
Atis