Re: fvwm vs. fvwm-crystal

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 06:11:37PM -0400, Michael Pobega wrote:
[snip interesting reviews of WMs]
> Fvwm: Too hard to configure for me, but from what I've seen it's an
> awesome window manager after reading through all of the docs. It takes
> a day to a week to configure how you want, but it's well worth it I've
> heard (From people who use it).

Fvwm-crystal is just fvwm configured a certain way, thats all.

> Fvwm-Crystal: A nice wm for those who don't want to spend hours
> editing configuration files. It's pretty easy to change the settings,
> and a nice all-around, simple window manager (Probably even simpler
> than Fluxbox), but I just couldn't find my groove with it; Don't ask
> me why.

I'm running fvwm on my laptop (49M of RAM 1.2G HDD). I have to use the
vesa driver cause the cirrus driver plays up something wicked.

On my friends desktop running Sid (a bit mean, I know. :-) ) I installed
fvwm and fvwm-themes. fvwm-themes is a package in unstable but should
install in Etch ok as it is just some configuration files and some
icons and I think some perl modules. I suppose if Perl gets upgraded
in unstable then it may not install in Etch. The FvwmButtons module,
referred to as a Panel in fvwm-themes is *very* configurable.

fvwm-themes really shows off the power of fvwm. There are lots of themes
to play around with, even one that looks like XP :-)

I suggest trying fvwm-themes, choose the cde theme, and large panel
*Very Nice*

--
Chris.
======