Re: fvwm vs. fvwm-crystal

Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 06:40:56AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Having always had fvwm as window-manager, I decided to look at
>> fvwm-crystal and installed it.
>>
>> Fvwm-crystal may be *based* upon fvwm but it sure is not in the
>> *tradition* of fvwm.
>>
>> In fvwm the centerpiece is the the config file, .fvwm2rc that you change
>> with any editor to change anything you want in every detail.
>>
>> Fvwm-crystal hides that and is entirely GUI based. Not interesting at all.
>>
>> Fvwm-crystal flunked the test :-) too bad...
>>
>> Hugo
>>

> I've never liked Fvwm, it looked like it would take too long to
> configure. I tried Fvwm-Crystal a while after, and it was pretty nice
> in my opinion. It's an easy solution to a complicated configuration
> process.
>
> Although I did end up settling on Window Maker as my desktop of
> choice, because I can get the quickest use out of it and my hotkeys.
> All I have to do is figure out a way to raise/lower the master volume
> using hotkeys and I'll be set for a long time.
>
> This almost makes me want to start a Window Manager/Desktop
> Environment thread. But I don't want anyone to complain about OT, so
> maybe I'll wait a week or so :)

How is discussing Windows Managers off-topic to Debian Users?  IMO, it
is quite on topic and quite interesting to see what WMs people prefer
and why.

The messages about politics, religion and other GNU/Linux distributions
are off-topic.

If we wanted to discuss why Desktop Managers like gdm, kdm and xdm are
useless wastes of memory in some people's opinion, or why one prefers WM
over another is certainly relevant.

So tell me, Why did you decide Window Maker was better than fvwm-crystal
and what about other managers like blackbox or XFCE.  All of them are
lightweight according to what I have read.

Personally I like KDE because it is so configurable and has a very
constant look with it's apps, but you see if you look at the headers to
this mail that I use IceDove, so I am not exclusively using KDE apps.

Joe
- --