Re: fvwm vs. fvwm-crystal

Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ion2: Arguably the lightest window manager available. I loved Ion2 and

Have you tried OpenBox? Now its my WM of choice for super light
environments.

> Fluxbox: A nice window manager, I really only use it when I'm running

Also nice. I used it before Openbox for super light environments, like
watching MPEG4 videos on PII-333/128 MB RAM and Nvidia Vanta with 8MB
RAM (no kidding).

> IceWM: A nice, simple, barely need to edit the configuration window
> manager. I use it by default for my laptop's guest account, because it
> quickly acts just like a Windows computer; Which is very nice for
> people coming to my house, wanting to check their webmail and things
> like that (I'll admit I'm 17, so all of my friends actually check
> their MySpace and things when they come over. I don't have one
> personally, but that's a rant for another place and time). The only
> thing I DON'T like about IceWM is when people complain that "Linux is
> just trying to be like Windows", which is completely untrue (Keep in
> mind that it's these same people that don't understand what a window
> manager is, or even comprehend what GNU is!).

Coming from (too) many years of using Windows, IceWM is my WM of
choice. Lightweight, customizable and has features Windows still hasn't
implemented (like multiple Desktops). For switchers I would recommend
KDE though, at least until they become more familiar with Linux.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)