Re: Reconnect to a specific TTY session?

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 22:42:38 -0300
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Mar 2007, Jim Hyslop wrote:
> > Yes, that's what I did. I started an ssh session, ran 'screen', and
> > launched a program (man screen, IIRC). I got two or three screens
> > running, and was able to switch between them.
> >
> > Then I put my laptop into standby, and brought it out, which forced the
> > connection to be dropped. When I started the second ssh session, I got
> > the above error message.
>
> Not even screen -rda  worked?

It's been some time since I used screen so I'm not sure what the above options
are, but your problem is that you start screen in the shell and when ssh dies
the shell dies and takes with it all it's children.

One solution I can think of is to start screen as a background process (server
screen). Not sure if 'screen &' is enough or you may need to use the 'at'
command. You can then start another screen session to connect to the original.
This one will die on exit but leave the master running.

There may may be a command line option for this, possibly then one mentioned
above (I don't have it installed at the moment so I can't check)