Re: How to run fetchmail as daemon at startup

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 19:43:01 -0500
cga2000 <cga2000@optonline.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 10:13:30AM EST, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > On 03/23/07 09:07, judd@wadsworth.org wrote:
> > [snip]
> > >
> > >      Thanks, that's exactly what I want to do.  I sometimes access my
> > > home email while at work via the web interface, and if my wife or kids
> > > are at home using the computer, fetchmail may download and delete it.
> > > Or I could download it at night and not have time to respond.  I know
> > > that I could set fetchmail to not delete the messages and do it
> > > manually from the web interface, but I'd rather not do it that way.
> > >
> > >      I hadn't seen a way to do this delayed deletion easily with
> > > fetchmail, although I may not have looked thoroughly.
> >
> > Install Apache-ssl, Squirrelmail and imap-ssl.
> >
> > No, really.  POP, being the Post Office Protocol, is not designed to
> > do what you want it to do.  (You don't go to your PO box every hour
> > hours to *read* your mail, putting the open mail back in the PO box,
> > do you?)
>
> No indeed .. nor do I want the postal lady to pull over in front of my
> house every ten minutes.
> am away
> What's wrong with hitting "G" as in "G-imme-my-mail", the way I do it
> in mutt?
>
> Don't fancy a client-side daemon or cron job taking off necessarily at
> the wrong possible time .. hogging my CPU and internet when I'm in the
> middle of something else.
>
> Is there anything the matter with my approach to mail .. or e-mail ..
> getting to it in my own time .. when I feel sociable and when I can
> spare a few minutes to reply to it .. ??
>
> Or are you folks in positions where you must be notified within minutes
> and respond likewise?

I actually usually do POP manually (either Getmail or Sylpheed's built
in POP client), but automating it could be useful if I am away for a
while and I don't want to return to several thousand messages waiting
to be downloaded.

Celejar