Re: How to run fetchmail as daemon at startup

On 23 Mar, Celejar wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:00:14 -0400 (EDT)
> judd@wadsworth.org wrote:

> Getmail can do something like this (I'm not sure if this is exactly
> what you want). From the configuration documentation:
>
>>    The optional options section of the rc file can be used to alter
>>    getmail's default behaviour. The parameters supported in this
>>    section are as follows:
>
> [snip]
>
>>      * delete_after (integer) -- if set, getmail will delete messages
>>        this number of days after first seeing them, if they have been
>>        retrieved and delivered. This, in effect, leaves messages on
>>        the server for a configurable number of days after retrieving
>>        them. Note that the delete parameter has higher priority; if
>>        both are set, the messages will be deleted immediately.
>>        Default: 0, which means not to enable this feature.
>
> HTH,
> Celejar

     Thanks, that's exactly what I want to do.  I sometimes access my
home email while at work via the web interface, and if my wife or kids
are at home using the computer, fetchmail may download and delete it.
Or I could download it at night and not have time to respond.  I know
that I could set fetchmail to not delete the messages and do it
manually from the web interface, but I'd rather not do it that way.

     I hadn't seen a way to do this delayed deletion easily with
fetchmail, although I may not have looked thoroughly.

-Chris

|   Christopher Judd, Ph. D.                      judd@wadsworth.org   |