more sound problems

Hello.  After a recent upgrade of Etch, I find I have no sound.  The
volume control thingy on the top panel of gnome suddenly had a red x
beside it, and, when I pressed it, it gave me the following error:

"The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control.
This means either that you do not have the right GStreamer plugins
installed, or that you do not have a sound card configured.

You can remove the volume control from the panel by right-clicking the
speaker icon on the panel and selecting "Remove From Panel" from the
menu."

So, has anyone else had this issue recently?  I tried running alsaconf,
and installing various gstreamer stuff, but to no avail.

Mark