Lirc at boot, Debian etch, kernel-2.6.20.3

Thanks in advance for any help. I have googled until I'm tired; cannot seem to
locate the correct answer.

I have a Debian etch running kernel-2.6.20.3 on a new Intel core 2 duo
machine. I built the kernel for a core 2 duo, and it's turning up as an
AMD64, which I have other problems with, but that's another thread.

Running MythTV with a Hauppauge PVR-150 and an Avermedia A-180, it's working
great. (Seems like hardly anyone uses Debian who also uses MythTV).
The problem I have is with Lirc for the remote control. The Debian packages
won't compile, so I got the CVS version and it compiles fine, with no errors,
and I can get it to work, until I reboot.

I have put in /etc/modules/: lirc_dev and lirc_i2c.
After a reboot it's not working and I can get it back only by doing:
make clean && make && make install
then manually modprobing those 2 modules.

This is a bit more hassle than I'd like.
Could you please tell me (in detail) how to make Lirc automatically work? Is
it possible? I'm thinking I need to edit something in /etc but I'm scared to
mess with the wrong thing.
I appreciate your consideration.
Mike