Re: How to: Mount NTFS filesystems RW

> Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I am dual booting my desktop and most everything is working fine.
>>
>> But, I can't get to my Win 2k disks unless I am logged on as root.
>> The arg line in fstab specifies rw, but they are mounted ro for root
>> only! Note: since Windows is not running they aren't smb or exported.
>>
>> I really don't like to run as root because I make a lot of typos, some
>> of
>> which could be disastrous!
>>
>> Here is what happens: (Notice I am root right now.)
>>
>>    /dev/hda1 on /cdrv type ntfs (rw,uid=0,gid=100)
>>    root@dgwicks:/# chmod a+rx /cdrv
>>    chmod: changing permissions of `/cdrv': Read-only file system
>>    root@dgwicks:/#
>>
>> And everything is still 400 or 600. Nothing changes.
>>
>> Any suggestions??
>>
>> Many TIA!
>> Dennis
>>

> As others have suggested you might want to try ntfs-3g, but I can
> explain why only root can see the files. The uid=0 is setting it to root
> only access.  Change it to uid=1000 or whatever id that your user has,
> or just remove it (and the gid as well).  This line will work (in
> /etc/fstab)
>
> /dev/hda1 /cdrv ntfs  auto,users,exec,ro,umask=0 0       0
>
> without ntfs-3g and give you read only access to it, which is the safest
> way.  Note the auto,users,exec,ro,umask=0
>
> That means, automount the partitions, allow users to use it and make it
> read and execute (if it were rw, then it would also allow writing).
>
> Personally, I don't recommend even using ntfs partitions at all.
>
> Joe
> - --

Joe;

Thanks, that is a perfect solution to my problem. Esp. since I am not
having much luck getting ntfs-3g installed and running.

Read-only is all I really need, so that will work well.

I am not using ntfs "because I can" but because after more than
10 years of using Windows we probably have nearly 500 gig of data
accumulated. It is backed up, but no way is it going to get copied
or converted to Linux any time soon! We will probably be exploring
the capabilities of wine quite extensivly. (software and beverage
both I imagine!)

BTW. I notice you are using Icedove. How to you like it? I have been
using Tbird for quite awhile and need a good Linux product.

Many thanks!
Dennis