Slow internet on AMD64 running Etch

Hi all,

I have been running a current version of Etch for a few months.  My
internet download speeds are in the range of 10 - 15 kB/s.  Until
recently I blamed it on my ISP, SignalPeak, which has been having
troubles,  Recently I noticed that the Windoz boxes on the same router
are getting speeds about 3 times faster.   Transfers between the Linux
& windoz boxes are too fast to measure easily, but in the MB/s range.

Is this a known ETCH problem or am I doing something strange?  I did a
fairly standard net install.  I can post diagnostic info if some kind
soul will tell me which ones would be helpful.

Dave