Re: Removing KDE messed up the network

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:05:48 +0100
Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:

> Frank McCormick wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:17:14 +0100
> > Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Looks like
> >> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=411123
> >

> >   Well, maybe, but KDE was installed using Aptitude, removed with
> > Aptitude and Aptitude was used to re-install the stuff it pulled
> > out removing the KDE desktop.
>
> If you haven't used apt-get (or another packet management tool) in
> between, then it's not that bug but still rather strange. Well at
> least it could be fixed rather easily.

   Aptitude was the only package manager used on this machine following
the advice of several users. Easily? Well I was lucky to have a
Ubuntu Dapper installation on another partition so I could retrieve the
needed packages and install them. But booting and rebooting countless
times over a 2 hour time period hardly defines "easily" :)

> Aptitude normally doesn't do nasty things to you. And if it does it
> asks "Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]".

  The only Y/n question is got was when I asked it to remove KDE :)

>And if it breaks anything,
> usually it can be fixed with aptitude. Not too bad, after all.

  Well, having this list available certainly made things a little
better.

Cheers

Frank

- --
    Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how