Re: How to run fetchmail as daemon at startup

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 10:24 +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Greg Folkert:
> > On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 23:26 +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes. On most peoples' systems there's only a fistful of anyway.
>                                                           ^ users
> > You are fooling yourself. Run them a one shot cronjob set to run every
> > 10-30 minutes. Much better use of resources on the machine.
>
> The fetchmail daemon takes almost no memory nor CPU when idling, so
> that's a weak argument for most machines (as long as we're not talking
> about wireless routers etc.).
>
> > As I have said before, fetchmail WILL die or hang on you, when run in
> > daemon mode.
>
> I /had/ fetchmail running in daemon mode for something between three to
> five years and five to ten POP3 accounts, but I have never experienced
> the problems you describe. I do still believe, too, that fetchmail isn't
> exactly the flagship of Free Software code quality. I have switched my
> own POP accounts to getmail a while ago already and just yesterday I
> moved my girlfriend's account to getmail, too.

Fine and dandy. I am just relaying my experience when supporting about
30 businesses and individuals, using it over the past 7+ years. Every
single one had problems with it over that period, when using daemon
mode.

As soon as I changed it to a cronjob entry, I never got a call about
e-mail not showing up again.

It doesn't really matter, if it works for you, good. If it fails...
don't say I didn't warn you.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup